Google

Wednesday, September 13, 2006




Two weeks ago tomorrow, my Gramma passed away. She lived a very full 92 years--she was the mother to 5 children, Gramma to 14, and Great Ginny to more than I can count. My family was blessed to have her live with us my whole childhood, for 20+ years. Now that I am a mom myself, I have the responsibility to pass on what I have learned in life to my daughters. My gramma taught me a lot. She taught me to live everyday as if it was your last, to love life and your family, and most importantly to love God and follow Him.

Gramma was full of spunk. If she got tickled over something, the whole room was sure to be laughing by the end of it. Our family became spoiled by Gramma's oatmeal chocolate chip cookies and her fresh whole wheat bread. As a child, my gramma made many of Miranda's and my clothes (most of which we loved).

My gramma had 14 months with Sydney and Abigail. She just couldn't get over the fact that there were two of them every time she visited. She couldn't remember ever having seen two little one's who looked so much alike! Sydney and Abigail loved to sit in her lap and she loved to watch them explore their world around them. When the girls and I were in St. Louis over the 4th of July, Gramma went to the park with us and really enjoyed watching the girls swing. We went back to the park when we were home for her memorial service and it was good to remember watching Gramma sit on the bench and watch the girls. Sydney and Abigail won't remember their Great Ginny, but Brad and I hope to tell them enough stories about her that they will feel like they do.

Although my Gramma's earthly life has ended, we know she is rejoicing with the angels today. We had such a great time with family in St. Louis and it was good to see cousins and aunts and uncles we hadn't seen in awhile. We look forward to seeing Gramma again someday.

6 Comments:

At 8:04 PM, Blogger Mary Alice said...

Oh, Rebekah. I am so sorry. I hadn't heard until just now.

Your gramma was indeed a lovely woman and I am thankful I had the opportunity to meet her!

I will be thinking about you and your family during this time. You will be in my prayers. Love you.

 
At 10:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a precious tribute to your sweet gramma! You described her many gifts to our family so well! She loved you so much and was so proud of what a wonderful mom you are! We'll miss her more than we can imagine, but will have fun telling Sydney and Abigail great stories about their Great Ginny

 
At 7:56 AM, Blogger josh and darci said...

Rebekah,
You've brought me to tears. There is nothing in life like the love of a grandmother. I will be praying for you as you go through this tough time.

 
At 4:30 PM, Blogger Stacy said...

What wonderful memories grandmas give us! Yes, I remember the oatmeal chocolate chip cookies...I always knew you'd bring them back to Lipscomb with you and share them with your fabulous roomie. :) It was good to catch up with you on the phone this week!

 
At 6:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bekka - Just read this with Brady and Jen! It was so sweet! Made my heart sad and happy at the same time. Thanks, rootie

 
At 7:17 AM, Blogger Bradford L. Stevens said...

Grandmothers are so special. I am glad ours got to share their lives together for a while. I can just picture Ms. Gin and Grandma Opal cracking up together in heaven! You are the legacy of which Gin was so proud of!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
supercounter