Google

Thursday, March 08, 2007

At this point in my planning process, most people asked, “Who are you going to do this with?” or “What was your parents reaction when you told them about your trip” or “Aren’t you scared of bears and snakes and being robbed and loneliness?” or “Are you going to take a gun?” I’ll answer all of these questions at some point, but I believe the question about my parent’s reaction had the most impact on the success or failure of my trip. I had been reading and planning in secret while I was waiting on the next customer at Todd’s newly opened pack shop – not really in secret, but I was not discussing the intricacies of how to be successful as a thru-hiker with my parents – the mail-drops, the resupply points, the support from home. So when I said that I was going to leave for 6 months and walk to Maine, Mom’s first reaction was (and I am not paraphrasing) “NO!” She and Dad came around slowly and were 100% on-board by March 8 when they carried me to the trailhead in Amicalola Fall State Park in Georgia. They could not be more proud of their firstborn, and I don’t know how I could have succeeded without their blessing. The entire family made the drive and the 2-mile hike to the southern terminus of the trail, Springer Mountain, to see me off. Mom presented me with a gold angel pin and promised that she would be praying for me each and every day. There was much weeping. Later on, they said that the crying lasted the entire hike back to the car.

So there I was - ready for the companion of solitude that the trail could provide; ready for a physical and spiritual challenge; ready to get away. For a different perspective, I’ll try to share some of my daily journal with you each post – although I rarely captured the inspirational moments that were transpiring around me each day. “3.8.97 Tonight is the first on the trail for me…I have started my THRU-HIKE!...It has been a great day today as far as the weather goes – 68 degrees at the Ranger Station and around 50 degrees right now – when is now? – dark. The only thing that I forgot was a watch – I thought it was packed but I haven’t found it yet. The stars are out tonight and the people are friendly, so far. I met other thru-hikers and a lot of day hikers. I didn’t want to take a chance my first night so I set my tent up, but this would be a great night to sleep under the stars and the great expanse of sky. FEARS: only small ones – not succeeding – staying healthy – depression and loneliness. Even though these have been expressed, I am very optimistic. I need a trail name. Brad

3 Comments:

At 9:29 AM, Blogger Christy said...

So is that journal entry where your trail name ultimately came from? I know I may be giving it away to those that didn't know it already--when I read those last few sentances that ? came to mind. I'm enjoying the 'behind the scenes' look at your trail experience. And I know it is just the beginning...so much has to have happened:)

 
At 3:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Re-living this experience has brought tears to my eyes, but I am so glad that you are sharing your journey with us.
The pride your parents have in you has continued to increase as you have become a wondrful husband and father and brought three special girls into our lives!

 
At 5:34 PM, Blogger TheGlissonFamily said...

Christy, yes, you are getting ahead of my storytelling a bit, but that is okay...I'll give the rest of the story in subsequent posts...enjoy!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
supercounter